Historic Preservation Commission
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and maintain an inventory of buildings and sites of historical, cultural, architectural, geographic, and archaeological significance located in the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- Develop a local historical preservation plan, including but not limited to provisions for the identification, protection, and interpretation of the area’s significant resources and provisions for the establishment of historic districts. The plan should be compatible with the Alaska State Historic Preservation Plan and produce information about resources that is compatible with the Alaska Heritage Resource Survey.
- Develop and review nominations to the National Register of Historic Places for properties within the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- Review and make recommendations on local projects, including the alteration of existing structures, new construction, demolition permits, and changes in zoning and platting that might affect properties identified in the local inventory and historic or prehistoric resources that have not been discovered yet.
- Establish priorities and make recommendations for the use of funds available for the preservation and rehabilitation of local historic properties according to the Fairbanks North Star Borough Historic Preservation Plan. Priority shall be given to applicants eligible for or listed on the National Register of Historic Places or within the boundaries of a national or local historic district. The commission may require recipients to demonstrate the viability of the structure, to match grant funds with funds from other sources, to perform construction work in compliance with the Secretary of the Interior’s “Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties,” and to maintain the property on the National Register for a specified period of time. The commission’s recommendations are subject to approval of the Borough Assembly by resolution.
- Develop a plan for the continuing education of residents of the Fairbanks North Star Borough regarding historic preservation and the history of the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- Recommend to the Borough Mayor actions within the powers of the Fairbanks North Star Borough which will support the enforcement of the ordinance codified in this chapter and the Alaska Historic Preservation Act.
- Report to the Borough Assembly not less frequently than annually on its activities. Said report shall be forwarded to the City of Fairbanks.
Meetings are scheduled on the first Tuesday every month at 5:30 p.m. This information will be routinely updated to reflect any upcoming meetings.
The next Historic Preservation Commission meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
Citizens' Comments A
Agenda items not scheduled for public hearing
Citizens' Comments B
Items other than those appearing on the agenda
How to Provide Testimony
In-Person or Telephonic Testimony
Once an agenda is published, citizens may sign up to testify in person or telephonically by doing one of the following:
- Calling the Clerk's Office at 907-459-1401 no later than 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting;
- Completing the online sign-up form no later than 4:30 p.m. on the day of the meeting; or
- Signing up in person before the meeting has been called to order.
During the meeting, the Chair will invite citizens to the table or ask the Clerk to call citizens when it is their turn to speak. Please note the following:
- Phone calls to citizens will come from an out-of-state number.
- If a phone call is not answered, the Chair will move to the next citizen who has signed up.
- Testimony will be heard in the order in which citizens have signed up.
- Each citizen will have three minutes to provide testimony.
- Other citizens attending in person may provide comments after those who have signed up.
|Commissioner||Contact Information||Term Expiration|
Mary K. Hamby
City of North Pole
(907) 482-7254(907) 488-2194
|Molly Proue, Chair
City of Fairbanks
Citizens are invited to submit a completed Boards/Commissions Application (PDF) to the Mayor's office at email@example.com.
To qualify, applicants must: